Monday 2 August 2021

How to sew a bag strap with cotton fabric and webbing

My last Bigger Box of Fabulous should have contained webbing suitable to make sturdy handles for the bag pattern. Unfortunately I was unable to find anything suitable so I suggested to my subscribers that they could use some of the fabric in the box and the thinner webbing I had managed to obtain. I decided to make a video of the process, which you can find below. It's not the best video 😁 my skills are not brilliant and I don't really like talking on them! But if you can excuse my video inadequacies then it may help a bit! I have also included a few photos of the process under the video.

How to make a bag handle


Instructions to make a bag strap:

Cut your cotton fabric 2" wide by desired length of strap including seam allowance. Cut the webbing 2" shorter than the fabric. Interface the fabric if you want a sturdier handle, I did this for mine.





Fold the fabric in half lengthwise and wrong sides together, either finger press or press with an iron to form a crease. Unfold and fold each edge into the middle. This will make the strap 1" wide when finished.




Keeping the strap folded so it is 1" wide sew the webbing to the right side of the fabric ( not the folded in side) at one end using a 1/4" seam, then repeat the other side. Once you have turned the strap around the right way so the webbing is now flush to the underside of the strap, you will notice that the fabric overlaps at the back by approx 1/2" on each end. Top stitch the webbing to the strap using a longer stitch length than normal, I used a 3.5. As there is not so much bulk at the ends you will find it easier to sew.



Ta dah! Your strap is now finished and ready to adorn any of your handmade bags!



Happy sewing!

























  

No comments:

Post a Comment