Monday 15 March 2021

Auditioning Fabrics and Learning EQ8

This is the first post about my experience using Electric Quilt 8 to design a block of the month (BOM) quilt. There is so much to this program it's going to take a long time for me to get used to it, but sometimes you just have to go in head first!

I won't bore you with all the details but this first block I had designed in PreQuilt but the program has limitations especially as I want it to be a Foundation Paper Pieced (FPP) block. When I had finished designing the basic shape I realised that it wasn't centered in the 12" block I wanted it to fit in! But that's ok, as at this stage I'm playing with the design to see what works. I then had to decide which lines became extension lines to the edge of the block which is what makes it a FPP pattern.


Looking at the design again I think I could limit the amount of background pieces, once I make a start hopefully it will become clear!

I then put some colour into the block and kept the background white. The program has a huge library of plain and printed designs in every colour imaginable and an extensive collection of fabric swatches from some of the leading cotton manufacturers.


There is also the ability to import images of the fabrics you are planning to use in your quilt to see how the finished project would look. This is next on my 'to do' list as I really would like to see if the fabrics I've chosen will work. Unfortunately I haven't any white/cream for the background so I will be trying a coloured print instead. Below is my fabric pull but it could all change once I see them in the block!


Next time we'll have a look at the block with my chosen fabrics and whether I've made any changes.

Happy sewing!
Vicky





 

No comments:

Post a Comment