Wednesday 25 March 2020

Make a Tote Bag

It's been a while! I haven't been doing much sewing recently, other things have got in the way. I'm hoping in the coming weeks I will have a catch up with projects and get ahead of myself!😀

Today I am sharing my latest make, just finished yesterday. This is the Cactus Stone Tote Bag from Art Gallery Fabrics.









I used the Twist in Smoke from Dashwood Studios, which is a lovely pale grey colour, for the main body of the bag, and for the cactus I chose Kaleidoscope from the Belle Epoque collection also by Dashwood. I had already ironed interfacing on the back of the main piece before stitching the cactus in place. 



I found the pattern a bit lacking in instructions but it is very straight forward to make if you have made bags before. I used Flecks Soul from Art Gallery Fabrics for the accent colour on the back and front, and for the handles.


As well as the interfacing I ironed fusible fleece on the reverse of the body pieces to give it some body. I also decided to put a recessed zipper in my tote bag to keep contents secure inside as I'm going to use mine as a project bag. I cut the zipper casings 14" x 31/2" and the zipper was approx 17" long, I generally use zipping by the metre, but you could use a slightly shorter zip if that's all you have. If you would like to add a recessed zipper to your bag you will find numerous tutorials and videos online.


If you would like to have a go at making this Tote Bag you'll find it on page 36 in Art Gallery Fabric's Lookbook, click on the picture below.


Happy sewing!









No comments:

Post a Comment