Sunday 25 October 2020

Fabric Review by Hazel A Patterns

Hazel from Hazel A Patterns is taking over the blog today.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I have a major love affair going on with linen! As soon as it gets warm, I ditch the denim, and get straight into my linen mix trousers, dresses, tops… get the picture? In general, most of Vicky’s fabric is quilting cotton, but she ordered a range from Dashwood earlier this year which is 55% cotton and 45% linen. She offered me a length to sew a garment of my choice, and I decided to make an Allegro skirt, from Love Notions patterns, in Midnight Garden Swirls.



The first thing I do with new fabrics is wash them, and I also tumble-dried this fabric. It kept its shape perfectly, and came out so soft! (I am sure you are not supposed to tumble dry this fabric, but I decided to do it anyway to make future washing more straightforward). I didn’t need to iron it either, another bonus.



The pattern is a casual skirt, with an elasticated waist and a drawstring tie to finish. I had already made a muslin of the Allegro trousers from the same pattern, so I knew I could make a straight size 14. Love Notions patterns are print at home, but don’t need to be trimmed before sticking together, so it took very little time to organise myself, ready for sewing! It does make a nice change, as with smaller projects I seem to spend more time cutting out and applying interfacing than I do at the machine. I spent a bit of extra time fussy cutting the pockets, but from start to finish, including overlocking, was one afternoon. In terms of fit, the pattern has the added bonus of a raised back waist, so that when I wear the skirt the hem is level, an adjustment I would usually have to do myself.



Beautiful pattern matching on the pocket!


I made the skirt at the beginning of September, and have worn it many times since, and washed it 3 times. It is a lovely fabric to wear, soft and cool, and I look forward to using more in the future.


Fabric used: 1 ½m of 54” wide fabric

Pattern: Love Notions Allegro skirt

Notions: ½” twill tape for tie, 1 ½” knit elastic, scrap of interfacing, and I also chose to use two metal eyelets on the waistband

Cost to make: Approx. £26 


Links:

Fabric - Dashwood Studio - Midnight Garden Swirls

Pattern - lovenotions.com/product/allegro


Happy sewing!

Vicky


No comments:

Post a Comment