Sunday 4 October 2020

The Squiffy Sling from Mrsh

Back to some bag making for me! The bag pattern which went into September's Bigger Box of Fabulous was for The Squiffy Sling designed by Mrsh, which is available to buy on my website! My subscribers to this box received fabrics from a new range by Art Gallery Fabrics, Flowerette by AGF Studio. For my bag make I chose to use the whales themed fabric from Dashwood Studio's range, Into the Blue. This is a fun range of fabrics featuring turtles, seaweed, tiny seahorses and jellyfish and goes really well with the Dashwood Twist in Viridian I used for the lining.




The Bigger Box for September also contained some very soft faux leather in navy for the overlay. I have a machine foot for sewing vinyl but it's not the best so I used the walking foot which came with my machine for the topstitching, sew much better! There is loads of info on the internet about sewing with faux leather, and if you've not sewn with it before then sew some samples first with different feet. Tip: lengthen your stitch when sewing faux leather into a seam, this will help to stop the stitches showing too much on the outside.




I made the small size and found that I needed more interfacing than the pattern stated, you will need 90cm not 1/2 yard. There is an errata on Mrsh's website about this error.
If you haven't any double sided tape to use on the top of the overlay to turn the edges over then you could use fabric glue which is what I did.




This pattern is a great starter pattern as there aren't many pieces. What I found unusual was the bag flap came as one piece with the full body of the bag! I've never come across that design before but it works very well. 
You may have noticed that the design of fabric I used for the outside of the bag was a one way design. Because whales and dolphins swim around in all directions I wasn't too worried about how the flap would look! 😉😉 Tip: check if the fabric is a one way design before cutting out the pattern, this could affect how the flap looks from the front of the bag, i.e upside down, or not!

The lock which was in the box was a Prym Tuck Lock. These are very easy to install but if you are unsure then I have found a video for you to refer to. 👇







Happy sewing!



No comments:

Post a Comment